After competing in triathlons for 9 years, I decided it was time to try something different. In the back of my mind I had always had this idea that I would try to swim the English Channel some day. Now, after almost 2 years of distance swimming training, that day is almost here!

Plot of my course

Saturday, September 20, 2008

I may swim soon!

Well, I spent the majority of the day collecting my family from the airport and getting everyone settled into the room. We also stopped to get instructions from Freda on the feeding schedule, what to have when, etc. And finally we met with Eddie my pilot.

The weather has changed quickly again as it does here and so now the person in first slot, Chris Pountney, is going to swim starting early Sunday morning. So for us that is about 6 hours from now. What that means to me is that I may get my shot Monday morning. I would probably need to be at the boat at 2:30 am and then start swimming around 3:30 am Dover time. Given that, I need to get to bed now and start to adjust my sleep schedule.

I am going to spend tomorrow making final preparations and getting well fed and hopefully getting some good sleep. Sorry for the short post but my time could be very near!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Allan.

Am following your blog with much interest and anticipation my friend. Glad to hear the temperature of the water is less and less of a factor. Can't wait to hear that you have started your swim and then when you have conquered the Channel! Go Allan Go!!

Allan McLeland said...

Thanks Marc. I haven't heard the weather report yet today but hopefully I am still on for an early Monday morning start. Didn't sleep a lot last night but it was due to my youngest son's snoring. Hopefully we will have a restful day and night and I will be ready to go. Thanks for writing!

Anonymous said...

Allan,

Best of luck, pal. We're all very proud of you here.

Keith Wyrick

Allan McLeland said...

Thanks Keith. I hope I get my shot.