After competing in triathlons for 9 years, I decided it was time to try something different. In the back of my mind I had always had this idea that I would try to swim the English Channel some day. Now, after almost 2 years of distance swimming training, that day is almost here!

Plot of my course

Tuesday, September 23, 2008

London and the weather


The weather was another complete wash in the channel on Tuesday. So we decided to take advantage of the opportunity and drive to London for the day. We all piled into this enormous van I had rented and then headed out. We parked at the end of one of the Underground train lines to avoid navigating and finding parking in the city center. First stop off the underground for us was London Tower which is actually a number of towers spread out in a large enclosed facility. There's so much rich history here it's hard to absorb it all. We also went to the Eye of London - the giant ferris wheel like ride from which you can see about 20 miles all around. It was fantastic. From there we walked to the Parliament building, Westminster Abbey, and then to Buckingham Palace. The picture of the palace above was taken from a bridge in a park near the palace. It was a beautiful day in London as you can see but it rained non-stop back in Dover we were told. We rested our feet in a pub near the palace and had steak pies for dinner. Then back to the Underground for a long ride back to our car (38 stops!) and then I drove back to Dover about 1.5 hours away. We had a great day but everyone collapsed when we got back.

I spoke to my pilot, Eddie, and he gave me the weather update at the moment which was that it was now looking good for Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. I need two good days in a row of course since I am second slot. So that report lifted spirits. But I am sure it will change again. I just hope not too much.

So while we wait, we are continuing to have a nice family vacation. After I swim in the morning tomorrow we may go to Canterbury Cathedral, Dover Castle, or Calais. I think I am starting to make it up to my wife and family for all the times she took care of things while I swam. But probably just starting.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Allan,

Glad to see your enjoying your vacation with the family. Eat all the food you can to gain all that weight, even though you'll lose it before you get back and Bonnie won't be able to comment on your attractiveness as a chubster. jk. Anyway... hello to the rest of the family and enjoy the rest of your time in England. I will be checking regularly so I don't miss the infamous swim.

Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Still pulling for your Allan...keep focused and do not allow discouragement to set in....Morgan and Carla and Family of Whyville NC...

Allan McLeland said...

Thanks Tiffany. I hope you are doing well and that your wedding is coming together nicely. Good luck to you as well! Oh, bad news. On the channel swimmer chat site, I learned that the "chub" really doesn't come off all at once on that day. So Bonnie will get to tease me for a bit until I can run the pounds back off.

And thanks again Morgan and family. You guys were there when I did my Ironman and I feel like you are here with me for this one too!

Anonymous said...

Allan, I wish we could really be there physically to cheer you on...!!!! Morgan