After competing in triathlons for 9 years, I decided it was time to try something different. In the back of my mind I had always had this idea that I would try to swim the English Channel some day. Now, after almost 2 years of distance swimming training, that day is almost here!

Plot of my course

Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Cold showers

Today I swam 2.5 miles. Back when I was training harder I would usually average about 4.25 to 6 miles per day done over two workouts. Weekends were anywhere from 5-12 miles. So I am definitely easing off the distance and tapering for my swim. The idea is to be well rested instead of going in with tired muscles.

Much to one of my friends delight (that's you Michael) a reporter from the Florence Morning News came to the pool today to take pictures of my fat self swimming in a Speedo. Sure wish she had taken the pics a few months ago when I still had my triathlon body. The ribbing should be even worse tomorrow when a reporter from the News and Press comes as it will be in the middle of the lunch time master's swim practice. You have to understand that they are largely a crew of curmudgeony old men who just love to find something to tease you about. Can't wait to hear their supportive comments.

I forgot to mention that one other tactic I have been using to get acclimated to the cold water (other than eat and gain weight) is to take cold showers. I haven't had a warm one in about two months. At first it was hard but I have really gotten used to them. I run the AC in my car wide open. I also sleep with the AC low, overhead fan on, no sheets. The wife is not a big fan of some parts of my training. It will be over soon honey!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy to keep you humble in the lime light of the camera!

Allan McLeland said...

Don't forget USA Today and Newsweek will be setting up shop at the pool today Michael. Make sure you have your tiniest Speedo ready for display!

Anonymous said...

hahhahahahaa

Good Anwswer!

You've become a molden image of my devilish satire!

Tobey-Anne Saracino said...

When you get back (after you have succeeded swimming across the Channel) the best part will be the warm showers!!! You don't have to feel guilty anymore!!!

Good luck Allan...CT is cheering you the entire way!

Tobey

Allan McLeland said...

Thanks Tobey. Can't wait for those. Although I did sneak in one or two earlier this week to warm up from my frozen state. I have actually stopped shaking violently for 20 minutes or so after my swims now. Getting acclimated. Never thought it would happen. Now 16 hours of it will be another animal but still, getting better.