After competing in triathlons for 9 years, I decided it was time to try something different. In the back of my mind I had always had this idea that I would try to swim the English Channel some day. Now, after almost 2 years of distance swimming training, that day is almost here!

Plot of my course

Thursday, September 25, 2008

Not so good news

Well, I just got off the phone with Eddie my pilot. It now looks like the only swimmable day is Saturday and even it is questionable. Since I am in second slot, I won't be able to swim this year unless something changes. I am going to try to pursue a couple other avenues before throwing in the towel. I'm persistent if nothing else. I also have a good head cold now and have spent most of the day in bed. But, these things are a part of channel swimming. There are no guarantees. I won't give up until there's no other option.

7 comments:

M said...

hang in there Al
Sunday and Monday may well be swimmable in some peoples eyes

M said...

PS earlier I thought you were from Darlington around 5 miles from here....hahahaha how weird is that, I meant Darlington in the North East of England...oops

Hold out for the weather buddy, I was sent home by my pilot and have a year or more before I can return...not a happy bunny

Allan McLeland said...

Mark,

Thanks for the messages. I had actually seen your website before you wrote to me. I was thinking to myself that that would sure stink to go home without having a shot to swim. But that's part of the game. We know that going into it. It's not over yet for me so we'll just see what happens. I figured out you were thinking of the "other" Darlington. That's pretty funny. I bet yours is bigger than ours. Best of luck on your swim when you do get to go.

Allan

Anonymous said...

Shucks, I was looking forward to the vicarious pleasure of swimming it with you. David White

Anonymous said...

Allan,
I know how persistent you can be. You always go for what you want. So don't give up!! Everyone's been asking about you and we're all rooting for you. -AC
***

Anonymous said...

I'm sending up an extra prayer that the weather will cooperate with you and that you'll be able to realize your dream!

We're watching the guy "fly" over the channel on TV right now.

GOOD LUCK!!

S.Ting said...

Hi Allan,

I am also supporting you in spirit and take heart in knowing that whatever the outcome it is contributing to something bigger in your life...including the potentially simple possiblity that this is preparation for next year.

But I too have not mentally thrown in the towel yet.

big hug,
Sharon